Not Without My Daughter: A Book Review in My Words

One day when I want to feel the emotion and cry my heart out, I will go and pick this book!!! One day when I want to feel the feeling of a strong mother, I will re-read this book!!! One day when I feel completely low and want to pick my mood up, I will re-visit this book!!!
For this book is all about hardships faced by a woman; a mother of a four year old daughter. With her non ceasing patience and undying love for her daughter made her win those daunting struggles. Yes! It is a book about being a responsible and powerful mother, so it is a MUST READ kind of book.
Not without my daughter, an autobiographical account of Betty Mahmoody can melt your heart for a while. I always wanted to read this book and after a yearlong waiting I got the book and finally I am done with it.
The book revolves around Betty, the author of the book, her four year old daughter Mathob and her Iranian husband Dr.Mahmoody.  Betty, a young American mother was married to an Iranian doctor based in America. The first time Betty encountered Moody was during the time when she was hospitalized. Dr. Moody then had been in charge of her health and with her prolong stay in the hospital made them feel for each other. The love story of a patient and doctor was so pure that they finally took it to another level. Soon they got married. A color was added to their happily married life when Betty gave birth to a daughter, Mathob. However,the story takes a twist when Dr.Mahmoody decided to visit Iran along with his wife and daughter.
Betty wasn’t excited to accompany her husband. The word of her husband; “short two week trip” made her to join him. She never thought that her two weeks visit will turn into a worst nightmare. While in Iran, Betty had hard time facing the reality of her husband and his family. Each day in Iran had been a challenge. As the sun kissed the low hills of Iran and dusk started to pull in, Betty and her daughter were exhilarated for the next day (the 14th day), and they started packing their things when suddenly Dr.Mahmoody announced that they were not going back to America anymore. The word broke the heart of mother and daughter. All Betty could think was, she wanted to get out of Iran and she don’t want to be a hostage in another country where ladies have no freedom.
From the day one of her hostage, she started planning for her exit to America. Each passing day turned worst of worst. Moody showed his true colour of an abusive Iranian husband. Betty was assaulted in front of his relatives. She was finally house arrested. Back in America, her daddy was dying of cancer and yet the cruel husband didn’t let her go. He clearly mentioned if she wants to leave, she can but without her daughter. The unconditional love of a mother for her daughter was too strong. His selfishness and ego made Betty much stronger.
Somehow after spending two torturous year in Iran, finally she was able to escape Iran with her daughter.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and now I can’t wait to read her next book “For the Love of a Child” by Betty and Arnold D.Dunchock. ...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to vegetarianism

Diversity Sourcing and Sharing Diversity - My Random Thought

Sakura さくら: Cherry Blossom